- Charles Heimbold Chair in Irish Studies, Villanova University, Spring 2014.
- University of Missouri Research Award, 2007.
- Launch Pad Organization, Enniscorthy, Ireland. Award for Distinguished Service, 2007.
- Natural Bridge: Irish and Irish American Issue. Notable Theme Issue, Best American Essays, Houghton Mifflin, 2003.
- From the Sin-e Café to the Black Hills, University of Wisconsin Press, 2000. Co-winner of the Michael J. Durkan Prize from the American Conference for Irish Studies award for the best book published in the fields of Literature & Culture, 2000.
- “The Black Hills, The Gorey Road.” Notable Essay, Best American Essays, Houghton Mifflin, 1999.
- Irish American Cultural Institute. Research Award, 1998.
- Research award from the Graduate School of Creighton University, 1997.
Lives in St. Louis, Missouri, and is Smurfit-Stone Professor of Irish Studies and Professor of English at the University of Missouri-St. Louis. He teaches courses in Irish, Irish-American, and British Literature, directs the UM-St. Louis Irish Summer School in Galway, and serves as the director of the Irish Studies Program.